Costume Designer : Job Brief
We are looking for a Costume Designer to join us for a project on a freelance basis from October 2019 to June 2020. We are looking for a creative Costume Designer to create costumes and props for 29 circus and street performers of six different art forms over a four month period. Your work will create the visual concept of a large scale street performance and the design will create unity among diverse performing groups while ensuring branding is clear but not intrusive to the aesthetic.
As costume designer, you must be very creative and well-versed in different garment styles and fabric types. You should be talented at sketching and see creating clothes as an art. It is a necessity to translate from design to high quality, robust garments. You will be collaborating closely with a multidisciplinary team to create the best visual effect.
- Understand costume requirements in terms of setting, performer movement, and character attributes
- Create preliminary sketches of costumes and present them for approval
- Produce the final designs with fabrics, styles and colors
- Execute expenditures and ensure costumes stay within budget
- Liaising with artists for measurements
- Deliver costumes to performers in various locations throughout Ireland for fittings and make necessary alterations.Plan and supervise costume fittings and dress rehearsals
- Previous working experience as costume designer for at least 3 years
- In-depth knowledge of design, materials and textiles
- Knowledge of woodwork and prop-making would be an advantage
- Knowledge and experience working with dance, circus and/or street performers preferable but not essential.
- Good time-management skills
- Ability to multitask
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Critical-thinker and problem-solver
- Proven ability to work well under pressure with as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Excellent organisational and interpersonal skills, both written & verbal
- A third level qualification in costume, fashion or a related discipline is not essential but considered an advantage
- Competitive fee will be discussed at the interview stage.
- The Costume Designer will report to the Artistic Director and work closely with the project team.
- This is a freelance position, the majority of the work will take place between October 2019 and March 2020.
Please send a detailed cover letter, an up to date CV, and portfolio to: firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject Line “Costume Designer Application YOUR NAME”.
The closing date for applications is 5pm on Sunday 29th September 2019.
A short list will be created, further details of the project will be shared with these candidates and they will be asked to submit design drawings and a quote for the project, the successful candidate will then be chosen.
Dublin Circus Project is an equal opportunities employer